Systam Abduction Wedge
After hip surgery, such as a total hip replacement, there is an increased risk of hip injury or dislocation while the healing process takes place. The Systam Abduction Wedge is used to prevent this injury risk, protecting the patient while they recover from their surgery.
- Prevents dislocation of the hips after surgery
- Provides total stability to the hip region
- Avoids the crossing movements responsible for dislocation
- Reduces friction and shear effects
- No sharp edges for complete comfort
- Anatomically shaped to fit the angle between the legs
- Low enough for use with a chair under a table
- Easily adjustable, comfortable attachment system
- Cover is waterproof and vapour permeable
- Can be washed at 90°C or decontaminated with cold sprays
- Treated to be fire resistant
- Dimensions: 240 x 160 x 180mm
Easy, Secure Attachment
Unlike most abduction systems that use uncomfortable belts and Velcro fasteners, the Systam Abduction Wedge is entirely protected by a single cover. This simple cover has a particularly comfortable attachment system that is easy to adjust and easy to install for caring staff. The attachment system offers sustainable support, maintaining the legs in a safe position.
Indications of the Systam Abduction Wedge
The Systam Abduction Wedge is ideal for prevention of the risk of post-operative dislocation after hip prosthesis implants and helps stabilise the legs in a safe position (see below).
High Resiliency Foam
This intelligently designed wedge is made of high resiliency foam with no sharp edges, thus reducing shearing effects in high risk zones and the resulting discomfort. The foam allows for optimal comfort in high pressure areas, providing the ideal level of pressure relief and weight distribution.
Versatile Height and Shape
The Systam Abduction Wedge has been designed for use in as many situations as possible, with a height that will prove useful in a variety of scenarios. The height of this wedge is low enough to fit under a table, while remaining high enough to provide complete hip stability. The shape of the wedge is anatomical, fitting the natural angle of the legs and ensuring optimal pressure distribution.
Tested for Fire Safety
All Systam products have been tested for fire safety under BS 7177:2008 for resistance to ignition. This includes tests in accordance with BS EN 597-1, BS EN 597-2 and BS 6807.